The vision of MOTION has always been about students putting their faith in motion. On the last day of MOTION 2020, thousands of students will take on practical projects, and through these acts of service, we hope people’s hearts will be opened to the love of Jesus. We encourage groups to choose a serve project of their own that everyone can do together as a group on MOTION Serve, so there will be many ways to get involved.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR MOTION SERVE
Step 1: Choose a Project
- Discuss the following questions with your team/students to help decide on a Serve project.
- What are the needs of our community?
- What business or organization within our sphere of influence could use a blessing?
- What are some areas we are passionate about?
- What serve opportunities best suit our group’s skills and abilities? (Prayer, worship, teaching, physical labor, etc.)
- What resources do we have access to?
- Once your group has discussed the options, decide together on the best project for your group.
Step 2: Plan Your Project
- Familiarize your group with the individual or organization you’re serving.
- Determine your project’s capacity.
- Determine your project based on your state and local guidelines.
- Make a list of preparations and assign responsibilities according to each group member’s skills and gifts.
- Make sure all group members have access to the project details.
Step 3: Register Your Project
- Download the Serve App for iOS // Android
- Search for “MOTION”
- Create an account
- Select your state
- Register your project
Include your church name in the project title.
- See full how-to-guide here.
Step 4: Serve
Meet your group the morning of MOTION Serve Day ready to serve!
Please download the MOTION Serve Project Guide for more information specific to you.
If you would like to print MOTION Serve T-Shirts in your city, download the graphics here.
- Host a free car wash
- Have a benefit garage sale and donate proceeds to a selected ministry
- Provide maintenance on a local middle school or high school
- Provide yardwork for a widow or single parent’s home
- Help with home clean up or repairs for those who are physically or financially unable to do it themselves
- Write letters to residents in nursing homes
- Go through your closet and donate clothes and shoes to a ministry in need
- Do a prayer walk around a middle school or high school
- Bring lunches to nurses and doctors at a local hospital
MOTION Serve is the concluding day for the MOTION 2020 All Together Experience. It is an exciting opportunity for us, the local church, to go into our communities and love our neighbors. This summer, whether through Your Small Group, Youth Group, or by joining a MOTION Serve project, come be a part of serving our communities and sharing the love of Jesus through simple, practical acts of kindness.
MOTION SERVE is on July 25, 2020.
If you attend Church of the Highlands, the best way to get involved is through a Highlands Small Group, and you can find the group for you by searching our Small Groups Directory. Most groups are open to new members throughout the semester, so feel free to contact the leader of a group that fits your interest, meeting location, and time preference. If you’re unable to join a Small Group but would still like to join a MOTION Serve Day project, you can search available projects through our Serve Day Mobile App by searching the church name “MOTION”.
If you do not attend Church of the Highlands, the best way is to connect with your church’s youth pastor/leader or small group leader, and discuss ways you can serve your city. Additionally, you can search all available projects through our Serve Day Mobile App by searching the church name “MOTION”.
Our hope is that each person that participates in the MOTION 2020 Experience will be able to participate in a MOTION Serve project this summer.
If your group is in need of ideas, view the MOTION Serve Project Guide or visit the Ideas page for more information on how to get involved.
Get creative! Assess the needs of people in your neighborhood and in our local communities and plan a project that meets those needs. Check out our list of ideas and other options from local service organizations for ways to get involved. Learn more about project planning in our MOTION Serve Project Guide.
We’d love to know how your group plans to participate in MOTION Serve. You can register your group’s MOTION Serve project though the Serve Day Mobile App under the church name “MOTION”.
WHO PAYS THE COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH OUR SMALL GROUP’S SERVE PROJECT (SUPPLIES, TRAVEL EXPENSES, ETC.)? +
Each Small Group is responsible for the costs associated with their MOTION Serve project. We recommend spending time planning your project based on your group’s size and commitment level.
Bring any personal items you may need during your project: Serve Day T-shirt, sunscreen, drinking water, sneakers, a hat, etc. Your Group Leader can confirm any project-specific items you may need to bring: gloves, rakes, lawnmowers, tarps, work tools, etc. Work clothes are a good idea for serve opportunities requiring physical labor, and we recommend not wearing jewelry.
Updates will be made available through our new Serve Day Mobile Application.
If your MOTION Serve project is outside, make plans to have an inclement weather option available. Some possibilities include visiting a nursing home, serving at a local service organization, or cleaning classrooms at a local school. For indoor serve ideas, view our list of project ideas.